(Dr Vodder Technique)
Manual Lymphatic Drainage is an advanced therapy in which the practitioner uses a range of specialized and gentle rhythmic pumping techniques to move the skin in the direction of the lymph flow.
This stimulates the lymphatic vessels which carry substances vital to the defense of the body and removes waste products.
What are the benefits?
MLD is both preventative and remedial and can enhance your well being.
– Is deeply relaxing
– Promotes the healing of fractures, torn ligaments, sprains and reduces pain.
– Can improve many chronic conditions: sinusitis, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, acne and other skin conditions.
– May strengthen the immune system as part of “de-tox” treatment.
– Relieves fluid congestion: swollen ankles, tired puffy eyes and swollen legs due to water retention or in pregnancy.
– Is an effective component of the treatment and control of lymphoedema (which may occur after cancer treatment) and assists in conditions arising from venous insufficiency.
– Can be used to speed healing after cosmetic surgery.
– Promotes healing of wounds and burns and improves the disappearance of old scars.
– Can reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
A BIT of HISTORY
During the early 1930’s Dr. Emil Vodder created a unique range of movements which brought relief from chronic conditions such as sinus congestion and catarrh. Since Vodder’s pioneering work, MLD has spread world wide and has become a popular treatment in many European hospitals and clinics. It is now beginning to gain acceptance in the UK as a component in the treatment and control of lymphoedema.